OGDEN's BASIC ENGLISH INSTITUTE
Notes on Word Lists, Permissions, and Donations
There are several "Basic English Word List"s referred to on the Ogden's Basic English
Institute pages, on eleven different pages at last count.
1. The Universal Language Project list.
2. Ogden's Basic English of 850 words with several subordinate wordlists.
3. Basic English Institute spell checking,
4. Basic English Institute translation dictionary/thesaurus.
1. This is by Richard K. Harrison's Universal Langauge Project whose current homepage is
This good work was the only reference to Ogden's work available on the internet in 1996
when we determined to make Basic English available. We pay respect to that project,
but it has no relationship with the Basic English Institute. Please contact him at:
2. C.K. Ogden's Basic English was copyrighted in 1929 in England. Ownership passed
to his Orthological Institute, which expired in the late 1940s, then passed to the Basic
English Foundation, which expired in the late 1960s. I do not know who now owns any
copyright for commercial usage. The B.E. Institute makes use of these wordlists for
educational use only.
3. The Institute has created a Spell Checking wordlist that works with Open Office.org
and related MySpell open software.
4. The Institute has created and is currently expanding a Thesaurus/Dictionary that
provides the translation tables required to suggest Ogden's Basic English wording
rom normal English text.
These last two are the work of the Basic English Institute with considerable effort,
over a thousand hours, that is freely shared for educational usage, but commercial
applications are expected to contribute towards our expenses.
We prefer that people become project contributors. In most cases, being a contributor will go much further than a monetary donation. However, for those who cannot offer time, we would gladly accept Basic English books or a monetary donation to the project.
Your donation will go directly towards helping this project. Some of the ways in which your funds might be used include:
Acquision of original Basic English texts and translations.
Enlarge the selection of books made available to members.
Paying for internet service expences.
Expansion of services.
Hiring independent developers to work with Basic interface to open office suites.
DONATIONS to the Basic English Institute are welcome.
These encourage the expansion
of Ogden's Basic English into the 21st Century. Contributions of books by Ogden
or about Basic English are eagerly accepted. Even checks.