Basic English Institute
- as world learns English
U.S., U.K. loses the advantage.
- " Toward a People's English: Back to BASIC in EIL" --Sept 2005 issue of Humanising Language Teaching :
Bill Templer is a Chicago-born linguist and teacher of English as an international
language. He has taught English, German and American Studies at universities in the
U.S., Ireland, Germany, Iran, Nepal, Israel, Bulgaria, the Lao PDR and southern
Thailand. A widely published translator from German and Hebrew, he is on the staff
of the Dubnow Institute for Jewish History and Culture at the University of Leipzig,
and on the editorial advisory board of the Journal for Critical Education Policy
Studies. He is currently based at Rajamangala University of Technology Srivijaya,
Sikao district, Trang province, Thailand.
- "Prospects for Global English : Back to BASIC ?" by David Simpson
The Yale Journal of Criticism - Volume 11, Number 1, Spring 1998, pp. 301-307
The Johns Hopkins University Press
What it could be. How it succeeded, where it failed. Democratic imperative.
[Synopsis] by Bill Templer
- "The shape of things to come? Some Basic questions about English as a lingua franca"
by Barbara Seidlhofer (University of Vienna)
Lingua franca communication, 2002, pp, 269-302
[doc] - 125KB .
- "Revitalizing the BASIC ENGLISH of Ogden and Richards: Toward New Conceptions of
a People’s English as a Lingua Franca"" by Bill Templer. From the Proceedings of the Inaugural International Conference "Teaching and
Learning of English: Towards an Asian Perspective," 14-16 November 2005,
Penang, Malaysia, organized by the Faculty of Communication & Modern Languages,
University of Northern Malaysia. Published on CD-ROM, ISBN: 983 - 42825 - 0 - 8.
11 & 13 pages.
- English Rules -- as in rules-the-roost.
Language skills are short through the world, but in commerce, English rules.
- Intel's Internal Approach -- They teach foreign culture, while conducting business in English, the international language
- Andy Rooney : Not being sad over lost languages.
- Adjectives and the Work of Modernism in an Age of Celebrity by Aaron Jaffe . -- If a novelist can survive translation into Basic, there is something solid under his language. 30 pages in .DOC format.
More Scholarly Articles
- Hint : http://scholar.google.com/
Search for : Ogden "Basic English"
Goggle Scholar provides links to sites that refer to your search criterion.
The articles are from "refereed" publications.
Sometimes the articles are there in full. Sometimes it is an excerpt
and they want you to buy the article. However, do not pay for it.
- We will mirror a few excerpts
- How Do I Get These Articles ?
Articles are accessible to subscribing libraries.
Students, faculty, and affiliates of educational institutions: Your library might have access to this article or be able to get this article for you. Contact your library for help with getting this article.
- THE BASIC DICTIONARY
- THE GENERAL BASIC ENGLISH DICTIONARY
- Link : Book Store
Back to the Basic-English Institute
About this Page: member.html -- Items of interest to members of the Institute.
Last updated November 25, 2005 - add Google Scholar, Seidlhofer
Contact us at