Project 333 . Translation Software
Provide Basic translation for expanded vocabulary at various levels of usage
and various forms for software packages.
- IDP Companion is a standalone, word at a time translator from English to Basic. A word is typed in and, suggested wordings for
Basic appears and the desired choice may be copied and pasted into one's text editor.
Pro : Better than flipping through a Basic Dictionay.
Con : No integration with text writing.
- Spell Checking in OpenOffice.org. This uses a Basic vocabulary and Non-Basic words are highlighted
(underlined in red) for futher review. OpenOffice.org is a full office suite that can switch betweeen languages with a few clicks.
Pro : Absolutely vital to translating into Basic by seeing the non-Basic words that need attention Uses the popular (and free)
OpenOffice.org software suite.
Con : needs translation such as IDP Companion
- Translation using the OOo thresaurus feature. Clicking on a highlighted word brings up suggested wording in Basic.
Pro : Works and allows further editing to make the suggested wording flow smoothly.
Con : prevents the regular Thsaurus from being available. The current feature is an earlier version of translation.
- eParaphraser is a page-at-a-time translator. Any text is copied into the program which then progresses throught the text until it finds a non-Basic word and suggests Basic translations before continuing.
Pro : alternative to OOo for those who do not want a giant program. Any writing may be given translation. Write in any text eitor before seeling if it is good Basic. Gives Basic wording suggestions.
Con : no editing feature, one must copy the page with several suggested wordking into a text editor to create smooth writing, then back to eParaphraser to spell check again.
- Simple English Translation program. Is a standalone editor with spell checking.and translation.
Pro : an alternative for those not wanting a giant program. Emphasis on Simple English, an advanced form
of Basic English.
Con : The translation module still needs work. Initial scope is to directly replace unambiguous big words wiith simple words, therefore is not a complete translator. Nor does it address words with multiple possible meanings.
Downloads. See individual options
Relations / Dependencies with other Projects.
- core Basic is Basic 850 plus deriviatives, compliex words make from
Basic words and International words. This is suitable for Everyday living, but is
not complete. There are several working-life special vocabularies and learner is
expect to chose one general area of interest and one special working life topic.
This adds 150 words to each learners vocabulary, for 1000 root words for full Basic..
- Media Basic is the compromise of core plus all General Area 100-word lists
and NO Special working-life 50-word lists. This is suitable for learners, teachers, and mass-Media for use with the public.
- Advanced Basic is a stage in learning not a terminal langauge. Ogden offers such a next step beyond Basic.
- Simple English is Advanced Basic plus most Frequently used words in English --
top 1000 words not already in Basic. Persons desiring to simply eliminate big words
will probably use SimpleWiki, which is the most regular English-like version under discussion here.
- SimpleWiki is Simple plus VOA Special English. VOASE is regularly used by learners for pronunciation. There is no standards group for SimpleWiki English and we have provided a version as a public service to support the
Completions So Far.
Discussion guides, useful data, examples, software, etc.
Back to Project Catalog or to
Institute home page.
About this Page: 333.html - Project 333
.Last updated December 21, 2008.